Tornos Group is one of the global leaders for the development, production and distribution of Swiss-type
automatic lathes and multispindle machines. The company's history dates back to 1880 and marked the
beginning of Swiss-type lathe technology. The company primarily manufactures CNC sliding headstock Swiss-type automatic lathes, multispindle machines, and precision machining centers for complex parts. Tornos is headquartered in Switzerland. A worldwide sales and service network offers unique solutions to customers in the target automotive, medical and dental technology, micromechanics, and electronics industries.
Tornos Technologies offers a competitive salary, 401k, health insurance, paid vacations and paid business.
Tornos Technologies US Corporation is seeking an ambitious Applications Engineer that shares the company’s passion for swiss turning and precision, care about our customer’s and partner. The Applications Engineer liaisons technical support between sales and customers, helps to design and create ways to promote the company and the Tornos product and services portfolio. Assembles confidential information through communications. Partners with internal management team and with the headquarter team (Switzerland) to ensure the best possible support and effective communications to company, our distributors and customers. Responsibilities include programming, training, set up, processes, time study, technical sales support, quotations, customer support. Ability to engage, create and work to support the team of applications and all internal depts. as a whole.
Duties include, but are not limited to
- Assist customers with technical, application or service related questions, i.e. programming, tooling, communication or data exchange.
- Work with Machine Sales to prepare machine demos; order required materials, program and set-up machine, run demo and answers customer questions.
- Works closely with applications team on projects and provides mentorship to Junior Engineers
- Analyze customer requirements including risk factors.
- Obtain necessary vendor support and quotations.
- Conduct on-site training per customer need; time study, operator training or basic/advanced programming. Set up machine and prepare for training classes.
- Manage and lead new project launches from start to finish. Order tooling & materials, write program and completes machine set up
- Willingness to travel up to 50% in multi-state region; drive or fly depending on distance. Ability to travel internationally if needed
- Employee is expected to work at the Des Plaines office when not visiting customers.
- Will work in collaboration with Service Engineers for commissioning of machines on the showroom & at customer sites
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with FANUC and/or Mitsubishi controls
- Bachelor’s or degree in mechanical, electrical, mechatronic or a related field is a plus
- Experience programming with a CAM Software Mastercam, NX, Esprit etc.
- Ideal candidate possesses 5+ year of experience setting up CNC Lathes and/or Swiss Lathes(preferred)
- Ability to create solid models with drafting software Solid works, Autodesk, Creo, CATIA
- Strong critical thinking skills for troubleshooting programming errors and machining processes
- Understands and can calculate Technical Mathematics
- Ability to work independently, balancing multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
- Proficient with Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Positive, professional attitude and customer service background qualifications
- Second language a plus French, German, Spanish
Tornos Technologies Poland Sp. z o.o